Followers

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Favorite Food Network Celebrity and Her All Stainless & White Kitchen Appliances.

So I just saw that Google's doodle was done by Ina Garten today.  I've strongly considered getting a TV solely for the purpose of watching Barefoot Contessa.  I know favorite Food Network celebrities can trigger hot debate, but who doesn't want to live in the Hamptons in the middle of their kitchen garden, be best friends with a chocolatier and have their friends over for lunch on their yacht every day? 

In one of the aforementioned times of inwardly debating the "TV for news and Food Network purposes" issue, I just googled Ina instead. (I'm pretty sure deep down if I didn't have a "real job" AND had a TV in the house I could very quickly own only mu-mu's, develop a serious potato chip habit and be sucked in to every daytime soap & telenovela that was on air). I ended up finding an interview with her about kitchen design.  Dreaming of someday having a dream kitchen someday, I took copious notes while thinking what a genius Ina was. (I like saying "Ina" as if we actually know each other in real life.  One can dream.) Now, I have no idea where those notes are, if they survived the move, but I do remember having a ton of "ah-ha!" moments.  But when I've finally got my laptop back and am somewhere other than the middle of the country with sketchy at best internet service (but improved today by our fixed transformer box), I plan to re-watch the interview.

I have been thinking a lot lately about good, functional kitchen design both for the Southern Scratch kitchen as well as our home kitchen.  The great thing about the interview was that Ina's advice works for both a commercial kitchen where baking and cooking are going on all the time or for the home cook who wants a streamlined space to get dinner out fast. 

One of the most memorable thing she said was how she only uses stainless or white kitchen utensils and appliances.  She noted that colorful spatulas and mixing bowls may look pretty but if you have twenty different colored items, it can make a working kitchen (i.e. when you're getting ready for a dinner party) look cluttered and messy.  If you stick with one color (and you can find nearly everything in white or stainless), the room automatically looks "put together" even if you've got a floured work surface, pots on the stove, caserolles in the oven, the mixer going and guests walking in the door.  Genius Ina.  Just genius.

I try to remember that tip whenever I'm drawn to turquoise spatulas or pink handled whisks for the Southern Scratch kitchen to go all matchy with our Waste Not Paper labels.  And while I did give in and register for lemongrass colored Fiesta for our everyday china, we got rid of any and all other plates, mugs, etc. so we still have a monochrome look in our home kitchen.  (Which is really important since the eager home renovater I am took off all our kitchen cabinet doors the day we got back from our honeymoon and haven't made good progress on getting them back up or painted like I had planned...oh sigh.)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  If you live in Washington, plan to come by the market Saturday morning between 8-till we sell out right behind the courthouse.  We are going to have a good little selection of our best breakfast items for anyone that wants to get out of the house before the football games start or bring your kids by to come pick out a freshly made cinnamon roll!  (We totally allow footie pajamas at the market).

2 comments:

  1. I adore Ina! Do you know Bob Ross, the bushy-haired, happy-tree loving artist who used to have a painting show on PBS? Ina, with her smooth voice and reassuring presence (and of course her unrestrained use of butter and sugar) gives me that same zen feeling that he did. Anytime you need a guinea pig for an Ina recipe, just give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! The "zen" comparison is perfect! It's like, "just relax, let Ina bake a cake for you and it will all be okay." Is it bad that when Reid is in Augusta every day for work I just pretend he's away like Jeffery is and I'm making something delicious for his homecoming?

    ReplyDelete